There is something so special about a cookie that can double as a healthy snack for the entire family!
This week on cooking with Soul we made these super yummy cookies. They are very light, more of a cross between a fluffy brownie and a cookie. I have created them one way, however I have included a few *options* that you could try with your family to alter the texture and taste!
One of my favourite things about cooking, is how you can try a recipe a few different ways until it is perfect for your family!
And since these cookies are made with chickpeas, they are packed with protein and fibre.
Want to watch us in action? Check out this hilarious weekly feature of Cooking With Soul:
- 1-15oz Eden Valley Organic Chickpeas (wash very well)
- 8 Dates (pitted)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter (if you are a NUT FREE family use sunflower butter)
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- ⅓ cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of Gluten Free rolled oats
- 2 eggs (if you are EGG FREE see below)
- 1/8- 1/4 cup of Baking Stevia
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a food processor blend the beans
- Add the oats and dates- blend
- Add the remaining ingredients (but not the apple)
- Blend for a couple of minutes so that a smooth batter develops
- Pour into bowl
- Fold in apple
- Spoon onto a non stick baking sheet- makes about 15
- Use a fork to lightly press down
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they look golden
For an EGG FREE version, let 2 TB of flaxseed in 2TB of water for 5 minutes and use an egg replacer
You can replace the 1/3 cup of apple sauce with 1/3 cup of melted ORGANIC grass-fed butter OR Coconut Oil
Add in raisins for a sweeter taste
Alternatively you can use 1/4 cup of maple syrup in place of the stevia as well